A gynecologist is engaged in research and treatment of pathologies of the reproductive system in women of any age. In addition to higher medical education, a real specialist must also have a specialization in the field of gynecology and obstetrics.
Specialization of gynecologists
Modern medicine distinguishes the following areas in gynecology:
- Pediatric gynecologist – prevention and treatment of diseases of the genital organs in girls and girls under 18 years of age.
- Obstetrician-gynecologist – observation of women during pregnancy, childbirth and the period after childbirth.
- Gynecologist-reproductologist – study of the causes of infertility and its treatment.
- Gynecologist-endocrinologist – treatment of diseases of the reproductive system caused by hormonal disruptions.
What does a gynecologist do in a antenatal clinic?
The list of duties of gynecologists in antenatal clinics consists of:
- assessment of the working capacity of women during the commission;
- gynecological examination;
- advice on contraceptive methods;
- diagnosis and treatment of pathologies during pregnancy;
- psychological and medical care before childbirth;
- providing obstetric care.
When to see a gynecologist
Applying for a specific type of women’s health care depends on the individual specialist.
For example, examinations by a pediatrician and adolescent doctor should be carried out with the appearance of early (before 11 years), first (12-15 years) and late (after 16 years) menstruation. Also in the field of activity of such a specialist is the management of pregnancy in adolescence.
You should contact a reproductive specialist in case of anomalies and pathologies of the uterus, pregnancy fading, miscarriages and infertility. If a man has a reproductive problem, the doctor refers him to a specialized specialist – an andrologist.
The duties of an endocrinologist include the treatment of pathologies caused by disruption of the endocrine system, as well as the diagnosis and correction of hormonal disruptions.
You will find highly qualified gynecologists in Odessa at the Complimed complex clinic.
What diseases does a gynecologist treat?
The most common diseases treated by specialists are:
- ovarian pathology (polycystic, cysts);
- pathology of the uterus and its cervix;
- infectious diseases of the genitourinary system.
How is the inspection going?
A scheduled appointment with a gynecologist is recommended twice a year. Examinations in the gynecologist’s office are strictly confidential. A standard examination by a gynecologist includes:
- Elimination of secretions, preparation for examination of the cervix.
- Visual inspection of the external labia;
- Schiller’s test to detect pathologies;
- Taking smears from different parts of the urethra, vagina, uterus.
When is the best time to visit a gynecologist?
When should you go to the gynecologist? The best option for girls is 3 or 5 days after the end of menstruation. If there was a delay in menstruation, then you should contact a gynecologist 2 weeks after the start of the last menstruation.
In the case of menopause, the frequency of visits to the gynecologist depends entirely on the feelings of the woman herself, since each woman experiences the menopause stage differently.
After studying the problem, the gynecologist has the right to determine the most favorable period for examinations.