Puberty involves a series of changes in the body . These changes are a normal part of becoming an adult.
The appearance of body hair in areas of the body where you did not have it before is something you have to count on. It’s the hormones in action.
You may want to start shaving some areas where your hair grows, but this is something you have to decide for yourself. There are guys who prefer to grow a mustache and beard. Some girls decide not to shave their leg or underarm hair. It is you who has to decide how you feel most comfortable.
If you’re worried about upper lip hair, take a step back when you look in the mirror. This way you will see that the hair that others see is probably not as conspicuous as it seems to you.
In a small group of cases, excess hair in a girl can be a sign of a disease, such as polycystic ovary syndrome . If you’re a girl and you’re worried about your hair, talk to your doctor.
What are the hair removal methods?
There are several methods to remove hair:
1. Razors . It’s fast and cheap. Shaving creams and gels are often better than soap because they make it easier for the razor to glide over your skin. Regardless of the area to be waxed, go slowly, as you can cut yourself. An adult or older sibling can help you when you are learning.
The result lasts only 2-3 days and the hair can harden.
2. Hair removal creams . It’s also cheap and fast. It lasts 2-3 days and also cuts hair on the surface of the skin. You have to be careful not to spend too much time with the cream on because it can cause irritation.
3. Tweezers and threading . Removes root hair. Useful to remove some isolated hair from areas of the face.
4. Electric starter winches . It requires a small investment, although it is an expense for many times. It is painful, as it pulls out the hair at the root, but the result will last longer.
5. Cold/warm wax . It’s a little more painful. It is also a more durable method. The cold wax is applied in bands on the skin, wait a while and start against the grain. Warm wax is applied with a spatula or roll-on . First, the wax is slightly heated and spread. When it cools down, it starts against the grain. It is also a cheap method.
6. Other methods . There are currently other definitive methods of hair removal, such as laser hair removal and electro-epilation. These methods are the most expensive. They are recommended for people who have a lot of hair. To avoid risks, it must be performed in specialized centers by qualified medical personnel.
- Laser hair removal (Alexandrite/Soprano/Diode): They emit pulsed light that captures the melanin of the hair, reaching the root where the germinative cells are located, which are the cause of hair growth, and destroys/atrophy them. Ideal for people with light skin and dark hair. It is very effective and durable, although not 100% definitive. Multiple sessions are required.
- Electrodepilation or hair removal with heat: It uses current to destroy the hair follicle. It is final.
There is no set age to wax. It is an individual decision. In definitive hair removal methods, it is advisable to have a complete pubertal development. It is usually reached around 16-18 years.
Consult with your dermatologist. He will assess according to hair and skin type, the most effective method.
There are also products that act by bleaching the hair to hide it and creams that act by softening and weakening the hair. You may want to try one of these methods before resorting to waxing or shaving.